I'm Sarbjot (better known as Amander by most), a third-year Computing Science Student and I'll be running for Director of Communications in this by-election.
Over the past few years, I've been helping fellow students with MACM 101/201/316, Calculus 1/2, Linear Algebra and 100 level CMPT courses. I also was the Director of Communications over the past summer term but sadly had to resign due to unforeseen circumstances.
During my short term, I was able to accomplish the following things:
- Added more roles on our Discord Server, as well as changed the roles name to relate them to Computing Science, and created a more diverse colour scheme
- Advertised events on our social media network(s), as well on our calendar on our website
- Managed social media accounts
- Along with Truman and Cole got a computer for the common room
- Helped with the logo deciding committee
- General help if any Exec needed it (With events, emails, cleaning of the common room, filling the pop machine, etc)
- Talked to Bryant (Math Advisor) about the concerns about the number of seats in MACM 201, and got ~200 seats added for the course for the Fall 2019 Semester.
Additionally initiated the conversation with Christopher Duffin to get a hackathon running with Mobify for November which is still in the works.
I am still involved with the CSSS by continuing to offer support with the courses mentioned above, coordinating the hackathon with Mobify, cleaning the common room, and in general making sure things go smoothly. I'm also helping some CMPT 120 students this semester getting adjusted to their first CMPT class.
If elected, I plan to do the following things:
- Create a monthly newsletter (~1 page) that provides our members' information about all events happening that month, key deadlines/information (Tuition deadline, Exam Schedule, Room Changes, etc), and in general any interesting information/event that may be of use (Hackathons for example)
- Talk to more Advisors (during enrollment period) to see if seats can be added to popular CMPT/MACM courses
- Coordinate with the DoE and ADoE and see if we could get more guest speakers to talk about the industry, and their experiences
- Promote the Discord Server to our members
- To the best of my abilities help out all of the other Execs
- Continue to advertise events on facebook/Discord and as well on the website
- Oversee social media accounts
I can promise you that I'm here to serve you and make sure you have a wonderful time at SFU. If you have any questions feel free to send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or come by the common room.